The leadership team at CarGurus is no stranger to online ventures in other verticals — the prime example being founder and chief executive Langley Steinert, who co-founded online travel marketplace TripAdvisor.
So, perhaps it’s fitting that Thursday’s addition to the newly created CarGurus board of directors is the co-founder and co-chairman of Wayfair: Steve Conine.
Wayfair, an ecommerce platform for home-related purchases like furnishing, housewares, home improvement products and décor, was founded by Conine and Niraj Shah in 2002.
Conine was chief technology officer of Wayfair until 2015 and held the CTO and co-founder role at Simplify Mobile Corp. before launching Wayfair.
"Steve is widely recognized as a visionary technology entrepreneur and business leader, and I am thrilled to welcome him to our Board of Directors," Steinert said in a news release. "His engineering and product expertise and his experience building Wayfair into a major global brand will be of great value to our board and the company. I look forward to his contributions to our long-term success."
Conine added: "It is an exciting time for CarGurus, now a market leader in the U.S. with a growing international presence. I am honored to join the CarGurus Board of Directors and look forward to working closely with Langley and the rest of the team as they continue to transform the business of shopping for and selling cars."
Steve Conine, Wayfair. Image via Wayfair.com.
The board of directors at CarGurus, which is chaired by Steinert, also includes:
- TripAdvisor co-founder, president and chief executive Steve Kaufer
- Anastasios Parafestas, who is the founder, president and managing member of investment advisory firm The Bollard Group, as well as the Spinnaker Capital private equity arm of that group
- eBay motors founder Simon Rothman
- Greg Schwartz, chief business officer of Zillow Group
- Ian Smith, managing director at Allen & Company