Wells Fargo enters consent orders with $1 billion civil penalties

Editorial credit: George Sheldon / Shutterstock.com
SAN FRANCISCO  - 

Wells Fargo said Friday it has entered consent orders with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, under which the company will have to pay civil penalties totaling $1 billion.

The consent orders with the OCC and CFPB deal with matters involving Wells Fargo’s compliance risk management program in addition to “issues regarding certain interest rate-lock extensions on home mortgages and collateral protection insurance (CPI) placed on certain auto loans,” the company said in a news release.

Wells Fargo said the issues around interest rate-lock extensions and CPI have been disclosed previously.

The consent order also requires Wells Fargo to submit plans on how it is continuing to augment compliant and risk management as well as how it is approaching customer remediation.  Those plans are to be reviewed by the Wells Fargo board.

“For more than a year and a half, we have made progress on strengthening operational processes, internal controls, compliance and oversight, and delivering on our promise to review all of our practices and make things right for our customers,” said Timothy Sloan, president and chief executive officer of Wells Fargo, in a news release.

“While we have more work to do, these orders affirm that we share the same priorities with our regulators and that we are committed to working with them as we deliver our commitments with focus, accountability, and transparency,” Sloan said. “Our customers deserve only the best from Wells Fargo, and we are committed to delivering that.”

X